Contract Field Technician
Biigtigong Nishnaabeg (BN) in conjunction with the Anishinabek/Ontario Fisheries Resource Centre (A/OFRC) are looking to hire a field technician to help with a fisheries project happening on the Pic River. A/OFRC is a not-for-profit corporation established in 1995 by agreement between the Grand Council Chief of the Anishinabek Nation and the Ontario Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry to further the knowledge and conservation of fisheries resources of interest to member First Nations and Ontario’s stakeholders.
BN and the A/OFRC will be conducting a fisheries study within the traditional territory of Biigtigong Nishnaabeg. The objective is to track fish movement in the Pic River, its adjoining tributaries, and around the mouth of the Pic River year-round.
BN and the A/OFRC places the highest priority on safety in the workplace. During the current pandemic, modified work practices have been established to ensure the safety of all staff and community members.
This 6-month contract Field Technician position will require an individual to work in/around the traditional waters of Biigtigong Nishnaabeg, primarily on the Pic River system. When not in the field, the technician will be responsible for on-going research and other responsibilities associated with the on-going fisheries study.
Interested individuals should note the following
- Individuals must be over 18 years of age (Transport Canada requirement)
- Contract requires extensive work on work skiffs (boats) open to the elements
- Individual must provide their own steel-toe boots (steel-toe rubber boots are acceptable)
- Safety gear such as PFD and rain gear will be supplied by the A/OFRC and BN
- The individual will work under the leadership of and take direction from an A/OFRC crew leader and BN Environmental Coordinator
- May involve work in inclement weather and be physical in nature
- Daily hours of work may vary
- Must be a Biigtigong Nishnaabeg community member
Length of contract: 6 months
Application Deadline: May 14th, 2021
Potential candidates should email cover letters and resumes outlining their qualifications to Aireal Starr at firstname.lastname@example.org. Enquiries may be made via email or telephone at 807-356-6257.