Employment Advisor – First Nation Community
(9 – 20 Week Contract Position time starting by Monday November 23, 2020)
Under the direction of the First Nation Community, the incumbent will provide support to the AETS Employment Officer. This position will be tasked with completing skills assessments and/or surveys and evaluating clients in order to provide guidance towards suitable employment opportunities and/or training. The Employment Advisor duties will include:
- Conducting one-on one interviews with Job Seekers – both on and off reserve Indigenous Citizens to obtain employment history, educational background and career development goals and developing customized plans for their success.
- Complete skills assessments and evaluations with clients to determine the interests, aptitudes and abilities of clients.
- Assist clients with and deliver sessions on Resume Development, Job Search, Career Planning and Interview Skills
- Discuss suitable employment opportunities for clients.
- Interpret program and funding criteria for clients and for potential sponsors, to ensure that the terms and conditions under which the proposals are developed are understood.
- Promote and market programs in the region serviced.
- Assess the need for additional assistance, such as rehabilitation, retraining, financial assistance and refer clients to the appropriate service providers.
- Provide established workers with information on maintaining a job or moving within an organization, dealing with job dissatisfaction or making a mid-career change.
- Work with employers including interviews, training, auditing and assessment for an Indigenous Inclusive workforce.
- Liaise with employers to provide for an effective client transition into employment and working environments.
- Maintain regular communications and contact with AETS Employment Officer as required both for guidance and for collection of documentation and information.
- Maintain accurate client files and contracts.
- Labour Market interviews and data collection. To be rolled out during your placement in this position.
- Other duties will be assigned, as necessary.
High School Grade 12 Diploma or equivalent, Post-Secondary Diploma/Degree preferred in related fields including but not exclusive to Social Services. Experience in service delivery of labour market programs; or a combination of education & training with some experience in labour market program delivery with Indigenous client’s and working with a client database. Excellent interpersonal skills; a strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Outlook; previous experience in working with First Nation clients; Valid Class G Driver’s Licence and willingness for some travel preferred. Selected applicants will be requested to complete a criminal reference check.
Interested and committed with the following tasks, which are be an extension of particular AETS Training and Support:
- 2 days: AETS Orientation
- 8 days: Winnipeg Transition Centre professional development training division, would deliver the virtual Career/Employment Coach Certificate workshops which would include the following: Resume Development Coach, Job Search Coach, Career Planning Coach and Interview Skills Coach
- 4 days: Indigenous Works Auditor Training connected to Workplace Inclusion for the National Indigenous Works Employer of Choice Certification Program
- 1 day: Labour Market Information and Skills Inventory Surveyor Pilot Project – On Reserve with the potential of collecting Off-Reserve Surveys
Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter (including the name of your First Nation Community), resume and the names of three references by Thursday, November 12, 2020 by 12:00 pm noon via firstname.lastname@example.org to:
c/o Anishinabek Employment and Training Services
285 Red River Road, Thunder Bay, Ontario, P7B 1A9
First Nation Citizens of the AETS nine member participating communities are encouraged to apply.
Applicants are asked to identify the First Nation Community in the requested cover letter.
We appreciate your interest; however, only those interviewed will be notified.